Make Writing: 5 Teaching Strategies That Turn Writer's Workshop Into a Maker Space (Hack Learning #2) (Paperback)
What happens when creative writing meets the maker space?
Easy Writing and making collide, revealing the genius inside of even the most reluctant writers.
In Make Writing, teacher, author, writing coach, Angela Stockman, turns teaching strategies and practice upside down. She spills you out of your chair, shreds your lined paper, and launches you and your writer's workshop into the maker space Who even knew this was possible? In classic Hack Learning style, Stockman provides five right-now writing strategies that reinvent instruction and inspire both young and adult writers to express ideas with tools and in ways that have rarely, if ever, been considered.
Combining Making and Writing
Many schools are converting classrooms to maker spaces--vibrant places where students demonstrate learning by constructing things, applying newly-learned skills and concepts. With inspired creativity and ingenuity, Stockman shows you how to bring modern maker moves into your writer's workshop, giving birth to a new environment that rockets writers to places that were previously unimaginable. Make Writing is a fast-paced journey inside Stockman's Young Writer's Studio, alongside students who learn how to write and how to make, employing Stockman's unique teaching methods.
Learn How to Enrich Writing Skills by Coaching Maker Moves:
- Shake them out of their seats
- Play through the process
- Tinker with text
- Draft bit by bit
- Make words moveable and mixable
- Connect to real audiences
- Hack the writing process and repurpose your tools
Inspire Creative Writing by Remaking Your Space and Rethinking Your Place
- Redesign your classroom environment incrementally and economically
- Embrace empty spaces and interactive boards and charts
- Make writing a physical, collaborative endeavor
- Design with gaming in mind
- Coach creative theft
- Host an exhibition
- Unearth your own best teaching methods
- Reimagine writers workshop
The secret sauce
You may get caught up in the stories about young writers, but you won't get lost, as each chapter is neatly wrapped in the formula that thousands of Hack Learning Series readers have grown love:
- The Problem (a single writing issue that needs a Hacker's mentality)
- The Hack (a ridiculously easy solution that you've likely never considered)
- What You Can Do Tomorrow (no waiting necessary; you can make writing immediately)
- Blueprint for Full Implementation (a step-by-step action plan for capacity building)
- The Hack in Action (yes, people have actually done this)
Are you ready to Make Writing?
Scroll up and grab a copy today.