The Kindest Red: A Story of Hijab and Friendship (The Proudest Blue #2) (Hardcover)
January/February 2023 Kids Indie Next List
“People often wish for ‘World Peace.’ In The Kindest Red, Faizah wishes for ‘World Kindness.’ Isn’t that the first step to world peace? This simple picture book with a big message celebrates diversity and personal responsibility.”
— Angie Tally, The Country Bookshop, Southern Pines, NC
The sequel to the acclaimed New York Times bestseller The Proudest Blue shows the power of friendship and kindness, from Olympic medalist Ibtihaj Muhammad.
It’s picture day and Faizah can’t wait to wear her special red dress with matching hair ribbons, passed down from her mother and sister. Faizah’s teacher starts the day by asking her students to envision the kind of world they want, inspiring Faizah and her friends to spend the day helping one another in ways large and small.
But when it’s time for sibling pictures, Faizah realizes that she and her older sister, Asiya, don’t match like her classmates do with their siblings. With help from her classmates inspired by Asiya’s hijab, Faizah finds that acts of kindness can come back to you in unexpected ways.
From Olympic medalist Ibtihaj Muhammad and fellow bestselling, award-winning creators S.K. Ali and Hatem Aly comes a heartfelt exploration of friendship, faith, and the joy of spreading kindness wherever you go.
S.K. Ali is the award-winning and bestselling author of a number of books for children and young adults, including Saints and Misfits, The Proudest Blue (coauthor), and Once Upon an Eid (coeditor and contributor). She lives in Toronto with her family and invites you to visit her online at skalibooks.com.
Hatem Aly is the illustrator of many books, including The Inquisitor's Tale (a Newbery Honor Book). Hatem was born in Egypt and currently lives in New Brunswick, Canada, with his wife and son and their many pets. He invites you to visit him online at metahatem.com
* “Helping others looks fun and rewarding in this sweet tale that empowers readers…. A loving and lovely celebration of the many ties—sisterly, friendship, communal—that bind.” —Kirkus Reviews, starred review
“This cheerful multicultural book, brimming with optimism and hope, will make a lovely read-aloud or bedtime story.”—Booklist
Praise for The Proudest Blue:
*On 12 state award lists!*
"Inspiring.... The lovely, playful illustrations by Aly capture the spirit of imagination and sisterly solidarity in the face of bullying."—New York Times Book Review
* "Memorable and inspiring.... Triumphant and true."—Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "A lovely blend of emotional lyricism and closely observed everyday life."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Aly's ink-wash-and-pencil illustrations settle and soar along with the language.... This story, as both window and mirror, inevitably educates, but more important, it encourages pride in and respect for hijab through a tale of two sisters, their bond strengthened by faith."—Booklist, starred review
* "This excellent story about identity, visibility, and confidence, touches on rites of passage, bonds between sisters, and bullying and is unapologetic in tackling misconceptions and demanding equality."—School Library Journal, starred review
"Hatem Aly's ink-wash and watercolour illustrations perfectly complement the lyricism of Muhammed and Ali's moving text."—The Globe and Mail
“A joyous tale of strengthening community by lifting up one another …the message is perfect as well as vital for elementary children. An exuberant follow-up to The Proudest Blue.” —School Library Journal